Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Today

Hi,

So, I almost have everything I need to put up the Bat House. I am a bit worried about the wind, blowing it over. The pole is about 18-20 feet tall, and will be attached to the front of the chicken coop at about the 5-1/2 foot level. If you think about a lever and it's fulcrum, that gives the wind hitting the upper portion of the pole (especially with the box attached) a lot of force against the fulcrum and where it is anchored at ground level. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Another thing Eddie and I did years ago was with his '49 Ford pickup. The body and front bumper were like armor. It had a standard transmission without synchro-mesh. To the transmission illiterate crowd that means that when you shifted gears, the gears would grind unless you went through the following procedure: 1 - Push in the clutch. 2 - Move the stick to neutral. 3 - Let out the clutch and push it right back in (that makes things spin inside the transmission so it won't grind). 4 - Move the stick to the gear you want to be in. 5 - Let out the clutch and push on the gas. This technique is called double-clutching and works fine when you are up-shifting. If you are down-shifting, you need to rev the engine a little when you let out the clutch in neutral to spin the stuff faster so it won't grind when you move the stick to the lower gear. None of this has much bearing on the story.
Anyhow, one winter when things were thawing out a bit, Eddie and I chopped some blocks of snow off from the snowplow piles and stacked them up in the middle of the road - kind of in a wall. They were stacked 2-4 feet high, and when we would hit them with Eddies truck they would really fly. The weird thing is that there were no dents in the hood of the truck. Like I said, it was more like a tank. I suspect that it probably weighed more than most any modern pickup truck.

Well, take care and have a great weekend.

dadoo

4 comments:

Nick@Nite said...

Pops. Nice to have you on the Blog Train. (or is it Glob Nrait) I changed the name of the list of blogs linked to mine to a name you might like. Check it out.

Amy said...

From your story, I gathered that it's really lucky I didn't have to drive back in the day. It sounds complicated. Although, no dents would be nice. That sounds like a nice safe teenager car.

MistressAltena said...

Hey papa, good to see you on a blog, it's always nice to hear stories of your past.

Oh, and P.S. I'm your seventh child and I'll have my blog up soon, though it'll be on a different site. Forgive the name, it's from an anime and is also my character name in Flyff(that game that your eighth child and spouse play.)

Janene said...

So THAT is why you love crunching the snow on the street (to this day!)

I'm pretty sure my HS friend's little green car had that problem. Oh, it drove her nuts!